[vdr] Re: RFC - wakeup-timer

Richard Cieply wrote:

> Klaus Schiedinger wrote:
>
> > Why don't you put that functionality into the script that VDR calls when
> > requesting a shutdown? In there you can modify the reboot time requested
> by VDR
> > and have your box boot either at the time given by VDR, or at an earlier
> time.
> > I don't see the need to define dummy timers for this.
>
> Because then I would need to modify the script if I wanted to change the
> time (login,vi,etc.). Second it wouldn't be easy to have one-shot wakeups,
> multiple wakeups (not _that_ needed...), or what one might think of.
> I think it would be more elegant.
> I thought it would be nice to be able to control the wakeup time of the
> set-top-box
> via the controls of this box (which is the OSD and a remote control).
> I don't like to login to my vdr box - I have no monitor attached, so I need
> start another PC up, login to my VDR,...
> I have to confess - I didn't take a look in the sources concerning this but
> think this should not be a real big deal, or?
> Do you think this would make VDR more complicated?
> I had the thought about the timers because there is already everything
> there.
> One could also think about a additional wakeup menu-item - but I wouldn't
> prefer this.
> To achieve the desired behaviour via an external script would need much
> more
> effort, I think.
>
> Regards
>   Richard

Frankly, I don't like the idea of overloading the timers with "dummy" stuff
that doesn't really belong there.

With the upcoming new plugin system, you could create a plugin that offers
you an interactive way of maintaining additional wakeup times, which could
be taken into account in your shutdown script. That way you still could
do this from the VDR frontend, keeping the timer mechanisms "clean" ;-)

Actually, VDR version 1.1.2 already has all the plugin facilities you'll need
for implementing sich a feature. You could have your own setup page where you
can edit extra wakeup times.

Klaus