[vdr] Re: Watch VIDEO over W-LAN

On the one hand certainly it's a question of the protocol.
With SMB I only do have half the netto-bandwith of NFS in my 100/1000
MBit/s Network.

The other is hardware. Do you use PCMCIA-cards or Cardbus?
I've tested that with a HP Omnibook 4150B (450 MHz PIII, 100 MHz, ATI
Rage Mobility 8MB, 256 MB RAM, MPlayer).

When using a PCMCIA-NIC the VDR-recordings were stuttering even with
NFS. But when using a Cardbus-NIC, everything worked fine. Recalculating
16 Bit-transfers to 32 Bit costs a lot resources.

So, if your playback on a 100 MBit/s-networks is stuttering, use NFS and
cardbus. It's not network-badwidth but the bus.

Rene

Am Don, 2002-05-23 um 21.58 schrieb Christian Berger:
> Axel Gruber schrieb:
> >
> > > I think this is the case, SMB is a bit too heavy  for this and the
> > > protocol
> > > overhead is too much.
> > > I think WLAN could be enough if the file could be transmitted as a raw
> > > UDP.
> >
> > Yes - i agree with you.
> > Do you know a way to do this ?
>

> We might try with something netcat like