[vdr] Re: DirectFB, OST, VDR-Console ?

Andreas Mixich schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask you if anyone is using the VDR on a DirectFB screen ?
> I know, that most of you use the direct TV out of the DVB card, but I was
> wondering if any applications exist, that would use the TV-Out of the
> gfx-card. Or is it possible to display DirectFB on the TV-Out of the DVB-S ?

Well everything you want to display on the TV-out of a DVB-s card has
to, either be OSD (which is slow and buggy) or it has to be compressed
in MPEG2.

However, you can use every normal viewer like xawtv for getting what's
on the output of the TV-out. Just start it before you start VDR and it
should work.

> Using DirectFB with a good menuing system (DirectFB has incredible alpha
> support)
> would allow for a great all-in-one STB (+internet +gaming etc.)

You can probably write your own viewer and try to get the OSD somehow.

> Or, could it be possible to "route" any DirectFB output through VDR, mixing
> both
> images ?

Sure, that would work.... in 5 years when computers are fast enought to
decently compress MPEG2 in realtime while doing all the rest.

But what you can do is to simply set your DirectFB to the line
frequencies of CCIR and simply use a relay to switch between both of
them.

> My second question is if there is any chance to see an interactive console
> with terminal emulation. It would be cool to be able run bash through VDR.

That really would be good. Maybe an extended terminal with some simple
graphics operations like drawing borders and changeing color.

> Or a little different: Send messages over the SVDRP.
> Father via ssh from his home-office: "Okay, kids, it's time for bed", LOL.

Ohh I think this works already.

Servus
  Casandro

> --