[vdr] Re: DirectFB, OST, VDR-Console ?

Andreas Mixich schrieb:

> You wrote:

> > You can probably write your own viewer and try to get the OSD somehow.
>
> Yep. You reference the OSD as something that I can "get" is "slow and
> buggy". So I assume this is some feature stuffed into the hardware of
> the DVB cards ? Or is the OSD solely VDR's work ? Is there an external
> API to the OSD ?

The OSD is done more or less in hardware. At least on the hardware level
it must be a framebuffer seperate to the one beeing used by the MPEG
stream.

> > Sure, that would work.... in 5 years when computers are fast enought to
> > decently compress MPEG2 in realtime while doing all the rest.
>
> Hehe, lol, okay I will wait then ;-)

OK, but even then the quality will be bad.

> > But what you can do is to simply set your DirectFB to the line
> > frequencies of CCIR and simply use a relay to switch between both of
> > them.
>
> No techie here. Do you mean two analog streams mixed and fed into one
> TV-In (of the TV)

Well actually switching between them, mixing is a bit to difficult on
VGA cards. However a Truevision Targa+ could do the job.

> > That really would be good. Maybe an extended terminal with some simple
> > graphics operations like drawing borders and changeing color.
>
> What do you mean ? If one can run ncurses on it...

Yes for example ncurses. When we have a limited set of VT100 commands we
could run ncurses. But we could go a bit beyond. For about commands for
drawing lines, and circles and stuff. Maybe even bitmaps.

> > > Or a little different: Send messages over the SVDRP.
> > > Father via ssh from his home-office: "Okay, kids, it's time for bed",
> > LOL.
> >
> > Ohh I think this works already.
>
> Sending test-messages to the OSD ?
> What I have done is to set a script entry in the menu. It says:
> "Hello World!" YAWN.

True, SVDRP really is great.

Servus
  Casandro