[vdr] Re: other way of storage your recordings

On Saturday, 25. May 2002 21:33, you wrote:
> Guido Fiala schrieb:
> > According to the linux1394 mlist we will soon have one more way of
> > archiving recordings using the mpeg1394 device - it does realtime
> > transcoding to/from dv streams from/to mpeg2 streams. It should be
> > possible to directly write mpeg2 streams to a dv camcorder or dv drive
> > via firewire.
>
> I always thought DV uses an MJPEG compression. Anyhow it uses a Bitrate
> of 25MBits/sec and you cannot really slow down most VCRs not even
That's right. Could'nt test that module so far, but let's see.

> digital ones. So I doubt this would work that easily. Anyhow DV-devices
> might be great backup devices. Maybe you could store your recording to
> DVC and transparently transfer the file to harddisk again.

Well - i do that already using dvbackup but not "on the fly" as it uses to
much CPU (together with FEC), but it is reasonable fast - about 9 min for a
hour of (ads cut out) recording and media about as cheap as CD's, the "tape
drive" however is much more expensive than a CD-RW, an big advantage is, that
you can store your recordings apiece and do not have to trancode them to (low
quality) divx or store it at a bunch of CD's...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index