[vdr] Re: other way of storage your recordings

Andreas Mixich schrieb:

> You wrote:
>
> > something reasonable it is still to expensive. However I think it should
> > be an alternative we should follow. Maybe somekind of generic tape-drive
> > support, we we could at some time even support all kinds of backup
> > drives. Or maybe support for reading/writing all kinds of streams on
> > VDR.
>
> I was tinkering with a thought a while back but had t realize, that the
> costs would be much too high still:
>
> An ADR-Onstream50. It stores 25GB uncompressed. The drives are (SCSI
> version) around 600 USD or so. A big advantage is, that they are rather
> fast in getting to the index and can play media in "realitme" streams at
> speeds of 2-4MBit/sec. For Windows there is software to use the
> tape-drive just as another HDD. This would be possible for Linux also,
> the drivers are generic (in the meanwhile).
>
> Another similar alternative might be the VX-1 (or so) tapedrives.
> Similare in priceand performance.
>
> Onstream also introduced ADR2 which is a little faster and has a little
> more capacity.
>
> However, the main reaosn I did not get one is the high media costs. Just
> too expensive.

Those tapedrive/harddrive systems are usually optimized for normal data,
but not video. I doubt you could do anything usefull as regards to
realtime video with those. They have to use harddisks as cache and store
the data to tape whenever they feel like it. Besides aren't all those
devices seen the same way from the driver?

Servus
  Casandro

> --
> Bye, Andreas