[vdr] Re: automatic channel scan

[iso-8859-1] Stefaan Coddé writes:

> Christian Bergerrote:
>

> Every search should be a 'add' function..meaning check if the channel
> exists
> And if not adding it to the END of the current list.
> Okay.. You can end up with many new channels but their names are known.
> So... in first place it’s a job to see which ones you can delete but
> after a while it's easy to throw out those unwanted channels on the fly.
>
> What I mean is : if a rather old set top box can do it... why not VDR?

    Here at Satmania.com we've maid NIT/BAT/SDT scanner based on older
dtv_scan program. Now it works perfectly taking approx 1 hour to scan 12
orbital positions. You can see that new channels appear in our news list
much faster then in Lyngsat. The only problem is that we cannot scan e.g
Hotbird super-beam, because we are in Moscow and we have no 5m dish :(.

    However upon my experience I can tell you that implementing really
automated SI scanner is extremly difficult, even impossible. Some providers
(e.g. Turksat) transmit faked data for NID/TSID/Freq/SR, most sometimes
trasmit bad modulation or orbital position longitude. So you will end up
with completly garbled transponder list. Perhaps you have heard about
receivers that hang up at satellite scan ? I am almost sure that this is not
software developers problem but total ignorance of DVB standard by
broadcasters.

   If many people are interested in automated channel scanning we can add
"Export to channels.conf" function to our site. Honestly, we had to do this
one month ago. :( With this function you will get possibility to download
updated channels.conf every time there are relevant changes.

       Oleg Assovski
www.satmania.com - Choose your satellite

Home | Main Index | Thread Index