[vdr] Re: automatic channel scan

Stefaan Coddé schrieb:

> Christian Bergerrote:
>
> >I don't know, but there aren't really a lot of possibilities.
> >Transponders on satellites are usually fixed and known long before the
> >satellite is even sent up. Most stations simply transmitt at the center
> >of that transponder with different symbolrates. So maybe you'd have to
> >try 1-5 attempts to find something on those transponders. However,
> >especially on Eutelsat there are some 72Mhz transponders. Those
> are......
>
> I can only tell this: I still use a nokia 9500 which is equipped with
> a slow motorola processor. The unit can auto detect TV, radio and data
> channels. The processor speed in most VDR systems if much higher so
> that's
> not the bottleneck regarding speed of detection.
> Indeed, a check on eutelsat does take longer but it doesn't matter if
> a search takes 30 minutes or 1 hour.

Well that system probably just checks all transponders with some
standard parameters, you can't really find any non-standard stations or
satellites which aren't programmed into the system.

> If a VDR system has two DVB cards
> then it's possible to search and view on the same time. The only limit
> then
> is that it's limited to a certain sattelite.

True, but you'll also not get non-standard transmissions, like the DW-TV
one on Eutelsat.

> Every search should be a 'add' function..meaning check if the channel
> exists
> And if not adding it to the END of the current list.
> Okay.. You can end up with many new channels but their names are known.
> So... in first place it?s a job to see which ones you can delete but
> after a while it's easy to throw out those unwanted channels on the fly.
>
> What I mean is : if a rather old set top box can do it... why not VDR?
>
> Stefaan

Well I've seen set top boxes doing it. I once had an old cheap Radix one
(FTA-1), it was horrible on the electronical and the mechanical side.
What I like of VDR is that I can simply write my own programms for such
things. I've already written a channel re-sorting programm enabling you
to let the programms be sorted easily

Servus
  Casandro

Home | Main Index | Thread Index