[vdr] Re: Minimum HD speed for two DVB-s card?

Gregoire Favre schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> what is the slowest HD possible to deal with two DVB-s card and to allow
> confortable timeshifting and editing?
>
> I have now a 10k U2W but as I plan to change MBB/CPU and the U2W is
> onboard, I would like to buy only an IDE, like a Maxtor 160 Gb or so
> (that 160 Gb is "only" 5400 rpm, maybe it's not so noisy?).

Well I guess what you need is high datarate, seek times shouldn't be the
problem. This has not much to do with the speed the disks actually turn.
Well the average TV-channel transmits at 4MBits/sec
(0.5Megabyte/second). This is well withing the posibilities of even
slightly older harddisks. A satellite transponder can transmit up to
about 30MBits/ses (3.8 Megabyte/second), so that's the theoretical
maximum datarate which might be reached somewhere in the future when
TV-stations are going to transmit in HDTV (scheduled for the 90s)

> Thanks you very much,
>
>         Grégoire

Servus
  Casandro