[vdr] Re: Video Disk Recorder version 1.0.4

Andreas Roedl wrote:
> No, but you could change the compiler flags (search g++ in Makefile) to:
>
>   g++ -O2 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -fstrength-reduce -ffast-math ...
>
> This will produce much better code than the original flags. Do the same for
> all the other Makefiles in libdtv (search CFLAGS). But as always you should
> know what you're doing...

"Never touch a running system"
or
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken"

In other words: I'd recommend to leave the compiler options
as Klaus released them. What you can gain is very little.
What you can lose is the time it takes to fiddle with it
after every release and the possible problems caused by
options nobody else uses.

After all, there is no performance problem in vdr that
could be solved with other compiler options, is there?

Just MHO.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index