[vdr] Re: Video Disk Recorder version 1.0.4

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Guido Fiala wrote:

> > Yes, but you can't expect everyone to be running ia-anything or -O3 (or
> > even -O2) to work on all platforms. I, for example, I'm planning to build
> > my PVR on Alpha. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate non-budget
> > DVB-T cards for sale in Finland, but once I do, expect nagging about 64bit
> > uncleanliness (if any exists). ;)
>
> IMHO the system can be set up to have a CFLAGS environment variable which
> would then be automatically used by the makefile...
> Or let it have a configure script.

Of course, but whatever the method is, imho the defaults should always be
as compatible as possible. Further tuning should be left to the user who
knows enough to try such things, let it be CFLAGS or ./configure
--options.

And its always good to remember that the less clueless people have
problems, the less will they burden mailing lists. :)

Why I have an special interest in this is because of FreeBSD/alpha, where
-O2 will produce broken code, yet so many applications insist on it no
matter what you do, besides editing files by hand.

	-jake

--
Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>            http://www.iki.fi/~jake/
System Administrator                    2001:670:83:f08::/64

Home | Main Index | Thread Index