[vdr] Re: OT: PCI IDE Controller with 4 Channels ?

Axel Gruber wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I plan to upgrade my Fileserver with aditional HArddrives.
> The Problem: I have no free PCI Slotīs !
>
> Currently i use the 4 Onboard-Channels and a PCI-CARD (Promise FastTrack100) with 2 Channels.
>
> Does anyone know a Linux-Supported PCI-IDE CARD wich provide 4 Channels (8 Harddrives) ?

I don't.
And if there is one, it probably costs a lot more than
a main board that has LAN and sound on board already.
I am using a K7S5A for my VDR. Very cheap (I paid 68 Euro),
with LAN and sound on board (so I save 2 PCI slots).

If you are looking for best quality (as opposed to best bargain),
for the server, another good idea may be an SGI 330 PC.
I have one. It has LAN, sound and 2 x Ultra160 SCSI on
board. So it has 5 available PCI slots and it supports
up to 30 SCSI hard disks without any extra cards. See

http://www.sgi.com/Products/PDF/2721.pdf
http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-03/pr_sgi330_01.html
http://www.linux-magazin.de/ausgabe/2001/01/Workstation/sgi.html

You may get them relatively cheap used today.
Last price I saw was $1410 in October 2001, should
be even less now.

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index