[vdr] Re: VDR-Crash when cutting while recording

On Thursday 04 July 2002 11:32, Emil Naepflein wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:36:26 +0200 (CEST), _cooper_ <cooper@linvdr.org>
>
> wrote:
> > What's going wrong? I damaged several recordings cause I started cutting
> > while I dodn't remember there's a recording process running.
>
> Cutting is very hard on the machine because it reads the input file as
> fast as possible. Even on my 800 MHz Duron everything slows down. To
> avoid this I have inserted a usleep() call into the cutting thread. This
> slows down cutting to about 1-2 MB/s.

wouldn't it be better to just run the cutting thread on the lowest possible
priority? That should give you full speed while the system is idle, but leave
enough resources to other tasks when needed. Sure, this could lead to the
cutting thread beeing starved and therefore even slower than 1MB/s cutting
under high load, but i guess that would be acceptable, or?
Also, the recording thread should run with elevated priorities, guaranteeing
it has always enough resources.

Andreas
--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index