[vdr] Re: Speed up the opening of Recordingsmenu ?

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:35:02 +0200, "Rienecker, Fa. Evenio, ITS P, M"
<C.Rienecker@deutschepost.de> wrote:

> Maybe we should try a different approach:
> I tested xfs a while ago.
> IIRC the find command was extremely fast even on large fs.
> This is a feature of the implementation SGI chose for xfs.
> Anybody willing to try ?

We have discussed this to death already several times. ;-)

The problem is that on a busy system (multiple recordings, playbacks)
all the necessary information for the recordings menu is pushed out of
memory. Rereading this information from disk takes a long time because
the disks are already busy and a lot of seeks are necessary.

IMHO, this could only be fixed if the large data streams are limited in
the use of memory buffers. As the information is only read/write once it
is pretty useless to keep this info in memory and pushing out other
valuable data from the buffers.

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index