[vdr] Re: Re : Bitmap-format of OSD?

On Friday 19 July 2002 20:28, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Am Mon, 2002-06-10 um 09.10 schrieb Andreas Schultz:
> > On Sunday 09 June 2002 23:53, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > > As I don't have the abilities to do that myself, I'm looking for
> > > someone who creates a patch for VDR to encode it's OSD to SPU-subtitle
> > > and mux it into the A/V-output-stream sent to the DVB-driver.
> > >
> > > When sending that A/V-stream to stdin of a programm (e.g. Mplayer)
> > > instead of DVB-driver we could use every MPEG-capable mediaplayer as
> > > A/V backend to VDR.
> >
> > i do have the code for that, as i was playing with dxr3 support for vdr
> > myself. However, it is not that easy! SPU's have only 4 colors and vdr's
> > main menu needs more. I belive that the best way to go for the dxr3 cards
> > is to implement the main menu not as overlay, but to encode it in MPEG1
> > with a static background and use OSD (SPU in that case) only for the osd
> > parts (channel display, progress bar).
>
> I've found a better way. For DVD there are also CC-subtitles. Nearly all
> RC1-DVDs use it for english subtitles. And CC is a 7-bit-like charset -
> also a 386 could handle them.
>
> See CC-FAQ at http://www.robson.org/capfaq/index.html
>
> I don't know, yet, if it also can display graphic, but it would enable
> embedding a ASCII-based OSD in MPEG-stream.

two questions:
1. can the DXR3 display those CC-subtitles and how?
2. have they enough colors and resolution to be used for vdr menus?

Andreas
--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index