[vdr] Re: Necessity of Emergency Exits...

Am Montag, 22. Juli 2002 20:13 schrieb Karsten Mueller:
> Martin Hoffmann wrote:
> >>Hmm... maybe VDR could "have a look" at the signals of *all* cards ?
> >>Only if *all* signals are missing a driver failure would be the reason
> >>most likely . And even if not, if *all* signals are missing, restarting
> >>would not harm anyone. This of course applies only to VDR boxes with
> >>more than one DVB card built into it. With only one card, restarting
> >>still isn't the best choice on errorhandling but an acceptable (even the
> >>slowest possible) one...
> >
> > Unfortunately not - a driver stuck does not appear on all cards at the
> > same time !
> > I often have this while switchin channels on primary card: Suddenly only
> > black picture & no sound on all channels ! The second card (maybe
> > recording at the moment) is not affected !
>
> Ok, so maybe it would then be better to wait until all other recordings
> are finished before restarting VDR. Maybe this option could be
> configurable... I'd prefer it to be that way *very* much...
Okay, that would be some workaround, i guess !
However it might me not too easy to implement !?

Another idea would be to monitor the signal strength - i do not know what
signal strengh is reported by the driver in case it already got stuck and
delivers no video stream ! Maybe in spite of delivering black screen still
the correct signal strength is reported ? Then VDR could dinstinguish between
external signal loss and f**k up of the driver !?

Unfortunately i havent applied the signal strength patch (i remember there was
one !?) - so i cannot test ...

Martin

Home | Main Index | Thread Index