[vdr] Re: DXR3 support patch for vdr-1.1.5

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 00:11, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Andreas Schultz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Yes, it's not an mistake, this is a PATCH for vdr-1.1.5. Welcome back to
> > patching VDR. I tried to find a different way, but the current cDevice,
> > cTransfer and cPlayer architecture does not allow any other solution.
> >
> > This release is mainly indented for developers and still has severe
> > limitations, most of which will not go way unless the cDevice mess is
> > clean up.
>
> Thanks a lot for calling my work a "mess"!!

your welcome!

Oh, and just to be clear, in my Englisch book is "mess != Mist", it's more
like chaos.

> As I told you in a previous private email, I first wanted to provide
> plugin interfaces for the current player patches, before going to implement
> abstract hardware devices.

Sorry for being too fast

> If it were just for me, I wouldn't need any plugin interface at all.
> What I'm implementing right now is mainly for others to make life
> easier for them. And I took the liberty to do this at my pace.

I offered to provide *any* help, but you constantly refused to accept it.

> I don't appreciate to hear words like "mess" in connection with my work,

Sorry, that's how i see the cDevice part. IMHO, if a class has that much
methods and even worse methods from at least three different functionality
areas mixed within the same class, then something has to be wrong.

> unless there is something really wrong with it. Especially from _you_

From _me_???? What is that supposed to mean?

I can live without people liking my coding style. Anyone is invited to supply
patches if and when he sees anything worth changing. At least, i will not
discourage people by telling them over and over again that something will be
done my way or not at all. It might not have been your intention, but that is
how it came through.

> I wouldn't have expected something like this...

Sorry for that, but what _did_ you expect?

Also, the patch is more intended as a starting point to get some of the issues
i have with the cDevice stuff out in the open. It is very hard to discuss
things with others without having concrete examples. Now, everybody thats
interested in the DXR3 stuff can start experimenting with the code and you
can have a first look on what to expect.

BTW: Some (actualy lots) of my code is also a mess!!

PS: I am gratefull for the great work you have done and are doing with vdr.
You certainly do a good job there. The raw amount of additional code and
functionality beeing written for vdr is prove to that.

Andreas

--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index