[vdr] Re: Can't record MPEG1 ?

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 15:17, Andreas Schultz wrote:

[...]

> The syslog indicates that zou where recording something. What do you mean
> by "editing a recorded movie"? Did you just go through it and set cut marks
> or did you already start the acctual cutting thread?

This was VDR's message about executing the recording (actually cutting)
process...

[...]

> I would guess that something (most probably a script activated by cron) hit
> an auto-mount point for a cd or similar. This would result in the kernel
> trying to access the device and thus detecting any previous media change.

I only use two cron jobs, one is "update_timers" (once a night) and one is
my vdr-watchdog which telnets to localhost port 2001 and restarts VDR in
case of no response for a certain time... (But if that would have been the
case, there would have been a message saying so...) No explicit
harddisk/filesystem access from those scripts.

[...]

> > Looks like you have a weak signal, so the data is somewhat distorted
> > and while scanning it, VDR "believes" it found an MPEG1 header.
>
> It could also be related to the "Disc change" message. Accessing an empty
> CD ROM drive can sometimes take a considerable amount of time. This would
> also fit in with previous report about MPEG1 errors under heavy system
> load, especialy when you did have a cutting _and_ a recording thread
> running at that time.
> It would appear as if we are loosing TS packets under such circumstances.

Looking at the result of the recordings I can say no, there's nothing
missing... At least neither visible nor audible...

> Andreas

Thanks for your help anyway :)

- --
with best regards
- ---
Karsten Mueller
Softwaredevelopment / Keyaccount Manager
RATIO Entwicklungen GmbH
Admiralitaetstr. 59
20459 Hamburg
Email: mailto:kmu@ratio.de