[vdr] Re: Announcement, new driver features

Robert Schneider wrote:

> In case you're not reading linux-dvb frequently
> ----- Forwarded by Robert Schneider/Germany/IBM on 02.09.2002 09:51 -----
>
> linux-dvb-bounce@linuxtv.org wrote on 02.09.2002 04:30:16:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > because we were able to make some improvements in the Linux driver for
> > the Technotrend/Fujitsu-Siemens cards with AV711X during the last
> > few weeks we want to make this special announcement.
> >
> > By rewriting some of the core components of the cards software we were
> > able to simplify and speed up the data transfer inside the AV711X.
> > This was combined with the improved buffer handling in the
> > communication between AV711X and PC, which we already introduced
> > some time ago, and the software filters in the Linux DVB drivers.
> >

> > This enables us to:
> >
> > - transfer real TS packets from the frontend to the PC
> >   (up to 32 PIDs)
> >
> > - increase the maximally possible bandwidth
> >
> > - transfer data from/to the card at the same time
> >   at usable speeds without data loss
> >

> > The obvious applications are:
> >
> > - real time-shifting with just one DVB card
> >   (without the need of a software decoder as others do it)
> >
> > - recording several channels and/or multiple sound PIDs from the
> >   same transponder without problems
> >
> > - better networking support
> >   (higher bandwidth, less firmware crashes)
> >

> > The new firmware is already checked into CVS in the NEWSTRUCT branch.
> > (You can also use it in the main branch. We did not want to
> > put it there before some of the more adventurous NEWSTRUCT users
> > could test it.)
> >
> > To activate the new filtering mode you only have to get this new
> firmware
> > and change one line in the driver in the file dvb.c or av7110.c
> (depending
> > on the driver branch).
> > In the function StartHWFilter(), change
> >
> >         buf[3] = mode;
> > into
> >
> >         buf[3] = 0xb96a;
> >

> > We will make complete driver packages with those and more
> > fixes available in the future but we will have to find a suitable web
> > page first.
> >

> > We also were in contact with Klaus Schmidinger who tested the new
> > driver for us and is busy writing a new version of VDR which makes
> > use of the new features.
> > Check out his page at http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/index.htm
> > for announcements and updates.
> >

> > Finally, if you visit the Linux-Kongress (www.linux-kongress.de)
> > in Cologne/Germany this week, you will be able to see the new
> > driver in action.
> >

> > Best wishes,
> > Ralph and Marcus

Big thanks to Ralph and Marcus for this ground breaking improvement!

I'm in the process of adapting VDR so that it can use this new functionality.
Due to lack of time I wasn't able to finish this last weekend, but I'll
do everything I can to have it working next weekend.

Stay tuned...

Klaus