[vdr] Re: Question about mplex

On Sunday 15 September 2002 19:35, David Philippi wrote:
> On Sunday 15 September 2002 19:27, you wrote:
> > MPlayer is one of the few player/encoders which directly can handle the
> > PES of VDR ...
>
> Playing them using Xine was no problem and it worked under Win32 too since
> there are drivers installed. What I mostly need is a tool that allows me to
> cut some frames out and repack it into a DivX to save storage.

well, the mencoder part of the mplayer software is one of the (if not *the*)
best tools I've ever had the pleasure to deal with regarding reencoding
to divX...

> Right now I'm using an awkward solution in Win32 - recode the file with
> Xmpeg into a DivX .avi with high bitrate, extract the sound to a wav.
> Recombine video/sound with VirtualDub (eventually adding a delay to sync
> them) and then I reencode this file with VirtualDub again to the desired
> framerate thereby cutting out the commercials and applying some filters
> (deinterlace, resize).

Wow, what a detour just to accomplish reencoding ;)
Definitely, mencoder is your friend :)

> Not only does this take quite a lot of time - there are also a few files
> which Xmpeg can't encode since there seems to be some errors in the
> beginning. Playing back works well but transcoding doesn't work (picture
> freezes, sounds continues correct).

mencoder is most tolerant to broken streams, too...

> Bye David

JM2¢

PS: No, I do NOT get paid for my recommendations of the mplayer package ;))
    I just like it very much :)

- --
with best regards
- ---
Karsten Mueller
Softwaredevelopment / Keyaccount Manager
RATIO Entwicklungen GmbH
Admiralitaetstr. 59
20459 Hamburg
Email: mailto:kmu@ratio.de