[vdr] Re: split up channels.conf

Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > I am a strong supporter for splitting it up, because we
> would finally be
> able to distribute one unique channel list for all users
> (incl. cable and
> terrestrial) and everybody just makes up his own
> channels.conf by referring
> to this list.
>
> I do agree. As data is getting more and more we should use indexes
> with unique values only available in one table/file to avaiod multiple
> entries ("Dritte Normalform" - don't know the english translation at
> the moment).

I think it's called normalisation. At least thats what (should be) is
done with relational db's:

1. NEVER use talking (data holding) keys (ZDF = bad; 123 = good)
2. NEVER store redundant information (duplicates)
3. ALWAYS have an unique key per table (table would mean file in this
case)

I agree too that it would be really a gain if we have unique
identification keys for the channels.

Cu Ulrich

Home | Main Index | Thread Index