[vdr] Re: Beginners Questions

Reinhard wrote:

RWB> Would it be possible to make an install version of VDR?

RWB> VDR has gone thru numeros revisons, updates and patches.
RWB> What I mean is a full version of ALL files and an installation
RWB> routine, which asks what should be installed (so that even
RWB> dummies, like me, can install VDR ;o)). Of course, VDR
RWB> keeps changing, but that way people have a ground basis to
RWB> start on. After all, two years of Klaus' work have resulted in
RWB> lots of files ;o) This install file would only need an occassional
RWB> update (say once or twice a year, or so). That way people don`t
RWB> need to hunt the internet to find ALL files and check which
RWB> files work with which revision. Also conflicts with older software
RWB> or revisions are kept to a minimum. It might even be a good
RWB> idea to make two install versions (stable and developer edition).

Windows user, right ;-) The installation of VDR isn't that hard; once you
know what to do it takes a few hours "from scratch". There are only a few
files you need: the main vdr-archive, maybe the AIO-patch or some
plugins, thats it. Then read the README's (like the name says) and you
get all the information you need. I don't think a "install version" is a
good idea.

RWB> Would it be possible to have a basic VDR setup like the above
RWB> and be able to install (new) updates via VDR? In other words,
RWB> you have your basic VDR system and a menu called "plugins".

RWB> All (new) plugins which are developed must be copied into a
RWB> certain directory (like plugins ;o). At each start VDR scans this
RWB> directory and if it finds a new plugin, it shows an OSD message
RWB> and asks if the user would like to install it. If the user says no, it
RWB> is marked accordingly and VDR doesn't ask again (but it still
RWB> appears in the plugin OSD)

Why not unpack the archive, move it into PLUGINS/SRC and do a "make
plugins"??

RWB> Doing both of the above would provide the advantage, that
RWB> everyone has the same basic system and all updates are done
RWB> via VDR. That way we can eliminate installation problems
RWB> (and internet hunting ;o}).

Every distribution is different from another; the only thing you could
do is to make your own custom "VDR-distribution"; or simply port VDR
to Windows ;-)

RWB> Harddisks can and do die. Would it be possible to include a backup
RWB> routine (not sure if linux has such a routine included)? The user
RWB> can select whether or not to include his videos, etc. Otherwise just
RWB> a bare backup of all installed vdr "system" data including plugins,
RWB> etc. The user could stream this to a 2nd computer via NIC (or have
RWB> VDR do this automatically every "x" days) and record it to CD or
RWB> DVD (maybe even as an install cd or dvd). That way a recovery
RWB> would only take minutes instead of hours (esp of manual installation).
RWB> When a harddisk dies, Murphies Law says it will do so 30 minutes or
RWB> less before wanting to record an important film, discussion or
RWB> whatever (and of course, this film is only sent once ;o)).

Hmm, maybe a plugin that backups your videos and config-files would be
nice. But thats nothing you can't do in the shell, so I wouldn't use
that plugin...saving binaries is IMHO no good idea, VDR and its
plugins getting better very fast.

--
Best regards,
 Ronald                            mailto:ronald.steininger@gmx.at