[vdr] Re: split up channels.conf

Hi List,

Rene Bartsch:
RB> We create a channels.conf which holds the complete data of a channel
RB> (source, transponder, original_network_id, transport_stream_id, service_id,
RB> pids, ...) and a unique ID - and nothing more.

I think so too. An offten posted argument against that was "hold
thinks simple" but what's complicated when we split it up in an
channel-related and user-related (and maybe i future there comes
additional plugin-related) tables. That's a easy 1:n Database.

The channel-related must only touched when a channel changes there
place. And the only think a User must change was the user-related
tabel. So there is no need for an "easy" channels.conf where you can
see all the dependencies of an channel in one view, because you never
change them in together.

That's the way every good Database Programmer works. And when in
future VDR becomes an coffee-maker ;) i think it was a manner decision
when we/you plan it future oriented.

ReadU,
 Pietro Pizzi

--