[vdr] Re: Bad compression on Pro7

Am Samstag, 12. Oktober 2002 02:01 schrieben Sie:

> Another possibility to improve digital tv quality would be HDTV. With
> a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels as used in the USA you don't see
> much MPEG-2 artefacts, because the 8x8/16x16 macro blocks are very
> small. But European TV stations don't want to invest in new HDTV
> equipment and in quality in general (of cause you can't have so many
> HDTV channels on a satellite as DVB PAL crap stations with different
> ads for each country...)

Well I wonder if it would be possible to use their old HDTV-equipment. I
mean many german stations already invested in 2 or 3 generations of HDTV
equipment. And I guess it might be well to just skip one of those HDTV
formats to get to a real high resolution format with twice the resolution
of US HDTV. I mean DSPs and memory aren't expensive today, and building a
"super hight resolution" TV-set is not really difficult, besides you could
still downscale.
I guess the current mayor problem might be scalability. So you have a
stream which is a valid standard resolution video and have an additional
high-resolution channel, which, combined with the normal video, gives you
a high-resolution image. And then an additional stream for super-hight
resolution and so on. Transfering the full stream several times just needs
to much bandwidth.

> Dany

Servus
  Casandro

--
Warning! (this is no commercial ad)
This e-mail probably will be read by secret services.