[vdr] Re: VDR developer version 1.1.13

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 08:42:08PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Robert Schiele wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 06:07:42PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > > Ahhrgghhh - I hate it when that happens...
> > > Do you get an actual *error* message or is this just a warning?
> >
> > This is an error message with gcc 3.2.
>
> Well, I have to admit that I don't see why this would have to be
> an actual *error*. A warning would have done just as well...

Well, in fact this _is_ illegal code as it does not conform to ISO
C++.  And ISO C++ is right here, as otherwise behaviour would be
undefined when the first and the second declaration are different.
Note, that in general the compiler cannot decide equality when
reaching the second declaration.

It was decided in February this year that gcc should issue an error,
not just a warning.  You may want to read the discussion at
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-02/msg01131.html.

And my personal optinion is that, if there was code that makes the
compiler more complicated just to hide a bug in the compiled
application, this code should be removed.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker	mailto:rschiele@uni-mannheim.de

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --