[vdr] Re: burned DVB-s

Hi,

At 13:30 17/10/2002 +0200, Sergei Haller wrote:

>Yesterday I disconnected the composite video cable between my dvb-s (v2.1)
>and  the  TV set and after connecting it again, I had no picture any more.
>Sound  and  everything else is ok. Just no video. The tv set and the cable
>work just fine, the dvb-s on an other tv set does not work.
>
>So I suppose, that I burned something while (dis-)connecting the cable.
>
>Does someone have an idea what I can look for and where.

I'm sorry by your card but I don't have any hope that this problem can
have any recovery, if your card is really damaged :-( ; the Composite
Video goes out directly from the AV711x and any semiconductor is very
easy to broken.

Many times, the reason of this type of problems is the lack of a "common
ground" between the to be interconnected devices. The "common ground" is
a simple wire that *permanently* interconect the metal chasis of all
devices (in your case, the PC and your TV) and is not need that this wire
will be connected to a real Ground.

This common ground precaution is extensive to every device that need to
be connected to the PC as, printers, scaners, STBs (perhaps with some
BDM, JTAG, etc interface), etc. Regrettably, I've heard and know myself
many of this problems.

IMHO, this *security measures* are not too know and commented, as it
should be :-((.

>There  are  the  connectors J3,J4 (for CD-audio) and J8. Is it possible to
>connect the tv set via J8? (I'm afraid, no. right?)

You are right, is not possible. Nor in a revision <2.1, with J2, could
have much hope, as there is only *one* Composite Video output coming out
of AV711x, wich is also need on the RGB (for the TV Syncs) and S-VIDEO
modes.

Best regards:
--
Roberto Deza Asensio