[vdr] Re: How to split merged .vdr files and recreate index.vdr ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karsten Mueller" <kmu@ratio.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2002 1:43 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: How to split merged .vdr files and recreate index.vdr ?

> On Sunday 20 October 2002 11:26, Steffen Koch wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:01:26 +0200, Ronald Haut wrote:
> > >A while ago I have merged all *.vdr files from a recording to just one
> > > file and backed it up. Now I want to split it up again and recreate
> > > index.vdr ? I have tried to use split <myvdrfile> -b 2000m and
genindex -
> > > but it didn't work for me. Does someone know how to do it ?
> >
> > This is probably because vdr itself splits the 001.vdr etc files after
> > full GOPs and NOT after amount x of bytes. No chance except you extract
> > the file handling stuff out of vdr to write your own splitter.
>
> If you still have *one* big file, why not drop that into an appropriate
directory
> (/video/.../2002-10-20.01.01.01-99.99.rec/) and then split it with vdr's
internal
> cutting function ?
>
> Isn't vdr able to handle huge files ?

Maximum filesize is 2 GByte.
We've had a lot of discussions with Klaus Schmidinger to drop that ...

> BTW: I don't see any advantage by catting all *.vdrs into one file...
>      Could you please enlighten me ?

A lot of players habe problems switching from one PES-file to another.
As there are A/V-differences and no counters at the beginning of a
PES-stream, you often get glitches or A/V-asyncs while switching file.

Rene