[vdr] Re: Proposal: cutting out advertising automatically

> 3. We could set up a data base to collect cutting data. Everybody cutting
> a video could upload the data to this server, and everybody else could use
> it. Something like freedb.org or so. Like P2P networks this may result in
> some people uploading fake data to disrupt the service, though, so that
> proper encryption schemes may be needed. Even then, somebody may subscribe
> and upload fake data. The system may need a voting scheme in addition.

You forgot something important here.

- The Data is needed timely (I think most people want to cut their recordings ASAP)

- The data has "binary rust" nearly instantly. (You can use the
  cutting-marks only once for exactly this one recording on Channel A, Time
  B. You can be sure that the break-points and durations are different
  the next time. (At least the duration is different. And "best-case" is
  that first cutting-mark MAY be right. But as the duration will be
  different all other cutting marks won't fit anymore.
  "Normal-Case = Worst-Case" no cutting-mark fits)

-> Forget it. Not worth thinking about it.

Bis denn