[vdr] Re: DRM and VDR/TCPA Issue

Moin Steffen,
Am Sonntag, 27. Oktober 2002 17:06 schrieb Steffen Barszus:
> Refer to the Sykalov affairs!
> You meant Skylarov ?
Yes, ofcourse.

> > According to the statements of the MPAA we are criminal hackers.
> > Digitally recording and transcoding to other portable formats is highly
> > criminal in their eyes.
> References for this ?
Latest statements and copy fees for digital recordings, current lawsuites in the US, see
DeCSS Lawsuites.
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/search.shtml?T=DRM&button=suchen%21
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/search.shtml?T=TCPA&button=suchen%21
https://www.cypherpunks.to/TCPA_DEFCON_10.pdf

> And show the way out trough beein rough on future linux-users ?
Asking a Windows question for VDR looks very paradox and obscure to me.

Only market pressue and firming the own point of view may rescue us before
those law-giving. Mostly all of those law-giving streams are coming to Europe also,
this behavior is known to be 'Me too'.
In June Germany's parliament release the first step in the wrong direction.
Removing, breaking any copy protection is after 1st Dec. 2002 (if I remember right) illegal.
So VDR may not use DVD play back anymore, because this is breaking the CSS copy
protection. So all of us, who uses that is thrown into illegality.

The source of this behavior is IMHO the "mainstream" computer industry, leading company:
Microsoft. (See: Palladium, current MediaPlayer, ...)

> > Those open Question should be discussed here are:
> Thought this is a technical list ?
Yes. VDR is a Linux only thing.
IMHO No Need to answer Win questions.
IMHO There are plenty Win Lists/Win Usenet groups to do so.

> Should Windows be supported due the upper DRM issues ?
> Support ? He asked an easy question, on that you can feel free to not to
> answer.
Or raise my voice for clearing up some urgent points.
DRM is a very bad araising sickness and has to be fought everywhere from
everyone.

> > Should we help any Windows user ?
> For sure, help them getting in touch with linux ...cause its the Linux way.
Every time. Refer to the Linux pointer in my answer.

> > Should we help on Windows issues ?
> Not if there isn't a short answer, and its not too much related with vdr.
I remember the all-time discussion about the ':' colon discussion because Windoze may
not have it in filenames.

> BTW: I am feelin too very angry about the palladium /Fritz/TCPA -thingies. But
> how is this related to this topic ? At least you should open an own thread
> for it , if it isn't OT here.

Right then.
So we have to form a wide-known and effective resistance to stop TCPA and DRM.
Now.

kind regards
	Jojo

- --
Jürgen Sauer - AutomatiX GmbH, +49-4209-4699, jojo@automatix.de **
** Das Linux Systemhaus - Service - Support - Server - Lösungen **
http://www.automatix.de to Mail me: remove: -not-for-spawm-     **