[vdr] AW: AW: AW: Problems using one DVB-S and one NOVA-S in one computer ?

> Von: Christian Jacobsen [mailto:christian.jacobsen@stageholding.de]
> Gesendet am: Freitag, 1. November 2002 16:50
> An: vdr@linuxtv.org
> Betreff: [vdr] AW: AW: Problems using one DVB-S and one NOVA-S in one
> computer ?
>
> Hallo,
>
> thanks for answering :)

> > no, AFAIK the CI can be on every card but in your case the
> CI has to be on
> > the first card (full DVB-s) and if you record a crypted
> channel you can´t
> > watch a FTA in transfer mode
>
> OK. What does the Nova Card the do :
>
> Will it record FTA ? and can I then watch PW at the same time ?

yes. yes

> Can it scan the EPG on all channels to keep EPG up-to-date ?

yes

> If yes do I
> need to configure that specially ?

the inactivity time to begin the scan is a setup parameter in vdr

> If I am watching TV and not recording will the NOVA then get
> the Stream an
> pas it to the DVB-S for output ?

no, the transfer mode would only be used if the channel is not to receice on the primary card (in our case that will never happen, maybe in the new developer version when you record on both card and the recording of the second card end earlier)

> Are there other benefits ?
>

> What benefits do I have if I get an DVB-S instead ?
> If I use an full featured Card als second then I have
> understood that i put
> the CA on the Second Card. This means that I still can not
> record and Watch
> different PW programs (exept if they are on the same stream -
> but that is
> also possible with 1 card). So what does it bring me which I
> dont get with a
> NOVA ?

only benefit is that you can still watch FTA and recordings or timeshift with crypted, while recording a crypted channel
(first full, second full with CI)

> What benefit do I have from 3 cards like Klaus has got ?
> >
> > yes and no, the NOVA has no OSD and MPEG2 decoding
> capabilities, so it
> > will be difficult to "see" something but it should be
> possible to program
> > timers and control it via vdradmin or telnet, the NOVA-CI
> is not supported
> > (complete different way how the CI is implemented on the card)
> > with the new 1.1.x version of vdr it is possible to use a
> DXR3 (Sigma
> > Design EM8400 based card) as replay/output device with OSD
> capabilities
> > (beta)

sorry wrong number in mind, meant EM8300!!!, only this will work - closed source politics
(actual product is the 8500)

> OK so if I want to go the easy way I will use an DVB-S as Primary ;)

yes, for me i didnt see any use of a nova as second because most of the time i watch or record pay-tv and i wanted to use timeshift
you could wait for the DX3 plugin to work better (i´m not shure about the plugin because i have not tested it) or buy a second full card to get the best out of vdr (timeshift of PW)

if you want to have a system that is always ready for all, you would need 2 full cards with 2 CI options, 2 CI modules, 2 subscriptions of your pay-tv provider (PW gives you 20% discount on both if you buy a second) - but this is off limit for the most (~1000 Euro hardware investment + ~60 Euro per month)
only proble is that AFAIK PW only gives you a subscription if you have a proper receicer serial number of a dbox 1 or 2