[vdr] Re: VDR is obsolete

Benjamin Forgeau wrote:
> 	In a separate library, I would await:
>
> 	* Finding the DVB device and opening it
>
> 	* Tuning the card on a transponder taken from a global list
>
> 	* Parsing stream info
>
> 	* Starting and stopping video play

In a post on the German news site http://heise.de I recently saw a
remark from some Windows idiot who was bragging that he could write
a thing like vdr within two weeks under Windows.

I do not believe that this is true (and even if it were true,
it would still not be useful to me, because of many other things
like remote logins to my vdr machine, nfs support, shell scripts,
etc. that I find lacking under Windows).

However, there may be a little bit of thruth to it, if some of
the above libraries already exist under Windows (doesnt TT
supply some kind of libs for this purpose?).

So, I guess you are right, Benjamin. It might be a very good
idea to create generic libraries for many of the areas VDR
addresses and then build a tiny "control skeleton" VDR based
on these libs. So the actual VDR source code would just be a
few hundred lines and could indeed be written in two weeks.

But life is short and who is going to do it while it may be
a much more exciting use of developer time to add new features
to VDR....  ;-)

Carsten.