Von: vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org] Im Auftrag
von Reinhard Walter Buchner
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. November 2002 08:43
An: vdr@linuxtv.org
Betreff: [vdr] Audio & hardware question

Hi all,

I have a question to those of you using either the S/P-Dif
coax or the TOSLink (i.e. digtal) output of the DVB.

I am working on a few addons for VDR. My main problem at
the moment ist the audio volume. I haven't gotten around to making a
small PCB in order to use the digital sound & video connectors on the
DVB, so I am using the normal analog 3.5mm output connector on the rear
of the card.

The sound volume is awfully low. I am running the DVB card
on an 8 channel (@170W p. c.) Denon amp. I have to turn up the amp quite
bit to get a suitable volume. If I use the same volume setting for my
other HiFi components, it would blow my ears away ;o))

Controlling the volume thru VDR I noticed that any values
below ~~220-225 (range 0-255) pretty much equals absolute silence. In
other words: the useable volume range is between
220-255 for me.

I have noticed this "low output" effect on many PC cards that have
anything to do with sound output (same goes for my Onkyo amp, so it's
not a Denon specifical problem). I suppose card manufacturers don't spec
their cards to the 0dB /  775mV standard of HiFi equipment. It wouldn't
be a problem for me to change the feedback resistor of the LM 386 on the
DVB, to increase the drive, but what I would like to know if the output
via coax or optical digital output (which is what I will be using
anyway) of the DVB is louder (properly spec'd via a voltage divider, of
course) than the DVB's analog outputs, before I experiment any further.
Your experiences with the analog output in terms of loudness would also
interest me , of course. In what "VDR volume range" can you hear the
output of the DVB card (although I don't think my DVB card is
defective). And no, I am not deaf ;o)), it really is the low output of
the DVB.

Greetz,
Reinhard

as subject.