[vdr] Re: epg2timers 0.9.6.

Uwe Weissbach wrote:
> 1. I work with start_time_safety_margin and stop_time_safety_margin (wich is
> absolutly usefull) but makes problems if I try to record 2 movies in a line
> i.e.: this evening I want to record 20.40 - 22.50 "Das grosse Fressen" on Arte
> and 22.50 - 00.30 "Black Box BRD" on Arte again.
> with start_time_safety_margin and stop_time_safety_margin I get (in my case)
> 20.35 - 23.00 and 22.45 - 0.40 with upcoming problems during the recording...
> My workaround is put that both together manually, make one recording 20.40 - 0.40
> and divide it by cutting later.
> Do you mean it could be possible as a solution in epg2timers, so
> if endtime of a recording and starttime of a new one is the same, on the same
> channel...?

You are suggesting that epg2timers merges both entries into one?
In the above example, from 20.35 to 0:40?

That would certainly be possible, but would everyone like it?
The disadvantages would be that both recordings share the same
name and that they would have to be cut apart manually.

What about people who have multiple cards? They would hate it,
because it makes life harder for them needlessly.
And even with one card and the latest VDR, VDR should be able
to create two overlapping files.

What if you create timer entries from multiple sources, such
as one entry on the same channel via epg2timers and another
one from the OSD? In that case, epg2timers cannot handle the
overlap.

I have actually been thinking about these problems some time
ago and I came to the conclusion that only vdr can handle them
cleanly in one central place. However, with vdr's new feature to
record multiple streams from one transponder with only one card,
I believe that problem is obsolete.
Do you agree or is there anything that I forgot?

> 2. There is a problem with set up recordings over 6.00 a.m. (starting before and
> ending after). epg2timers put it in the timers list twice.

Oops, I will try that out and fix it if I can reproduce it.

> 3. It would be nice if all settings (pathes, things like start_time_safety_margin,
> channel names, episode names, genre names) are in one file together (like
> epg2timers.conf), so I don't have to edit 3 or 4 files with every update...

Yes, that would be nice.
I suppose it would even be nicer to have a GUI configuration tool.
I agree that such a feature would be nice to have, but it's not high
on my priority list. Maybe somebody wants to contribute a configure
script that asks for all these things and maybe even tries to figure
out intelligent defaults?

Carsten.