[vdr] Re: unique channel id

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:38:46 +0100, "Klaus Schmidinger"
<Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> said:

> Of course the _user_ will never have to identify channels by their
> channel ID.
> The user will always be presented the channel name and/or the channel
> number
> as it results from his/her channel setup.

Hello all!

There is also one thing I have not seen mentioned about these unique IDs.
My understanding is that these IDs would help user to keep the recordings
correct even when the order of the channels in channel list changes. When
I am user, I really don't care how the channels are received to the box.

For example I have (had) both cable tuner and terrestrial tuner. Both
card's could receive all Finnish free channels. Currently I can not tell
VDR that for example channels 1 and 21 are in fact same channel instead
of different tuning parameters. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Ideally VDR
should be able to use either of those sources to record the channel if
the other card is busy with something else.

If the ID could be independent of tuning parameters, then this would be
possible.

ID must be unique only in one's VDR machine. Again, as user, I don't care
that same ID is used to point to some other channel in the listing which
is located somewhere else. If I choose to download some channel list from
net and be sure that "my own" channels have unique ID, I can choose some
prefix to use with all "my" channels.

I hope you understand what I mean...

    -Panu