[vdr] Re: unique channel id

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juergen Hahn (S)" <juergen.hahn@rbg42.siemens.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 12:34 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: unique channel id

> Ulrich Petri wrote:
> >
> > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> > > NID+PID+SID+APID+...
> > > rather that 5

> > > Are you seriously suggesting that?
> > > Why should we make it more complicated than necessary?
> > >

> > Because imho it is very complicated for humans to compare 5 different
> > values in order to see if if is the "right" channel (e.g. if you want to
> > edit the conf files by hand)
>
> Me (and I think most of the humans) doesn't care of any IDs or hash
> values or whatever in this file. Me is interested in the numbers I have
> to press on the remote control or some text/name of the channel I see on
> the TV after pressing some numbers on the remote control. Theses IDs or
> hash values or whatever are just for computers, not for humans.

And where is your problem? On user-interface (input-device/OSD) you have
your channel-names and channel-numbers.  The ID is only for internal use of
VDR.

And since the discussion of (SRC +) NID + TID + SID + RID the APID and
hash-discussions are superfluos ...
That solution only uses real values in channels.conf and the uniqueID is
created VDR-inernally.

Rene