[vdr] Re: distribution

Am Montag, 25. November 2002 14:05 schrieben Sie:
> I like RedHat as it is stable and provides everything necessary, especially
> since GCC3.2 and online-updates.
>
> Rene

Whats the current GCC3.2-status related to vdr+plugins and dvb-driver?
I remember when starting with dvb in April I can't use gcc-3.x for compiling -
tons of errors. Is this now possible?

About distributions:

I prefer Gentoo, cause this distribution is made for high compatible compiling
of anything. No problems with missing headers. Switchable automake/autoconf
system, no problems with self compiled sources and package management. On my
desktop computer I prefer Gentoo 1.4 (gcc3.2, glibc2.3.1), for my Movie-PC I
use a minimalist boot-on-LAN Gentoo 1.2 (gcc-2.95.2, glibc-2.2.5)
Cause Gentoo _is_ very developer friendly this also means that it installs all
this developer stuff like sources and header files you don't need as a user.

For my new VDR-box I plan something like this:
Harddisk-setup, but the whole system should life on a ramdisk, so harddrive
can power down when not recording movies, same for DVD.

I will check the currend ACPI improvents, things like suspend to disk.
Any infos about dvb-cards waking up from hibernation?

Bye

  Thorsten