[vdr] AW: Re: Serial port CAM, why not?

> Von: Klaus Casa [mailto:klaus_casa@hotmail.com]
> Gesendet am: Dienstag, 26. November 2002 17:16
> An: vdr@linuxtv.org
> Betreff: [vdr] Re: Serial port CAM, why not?
>

> >* Klaus Casa <klaus_casa@hotmail.com> [021126 14:48]:
> > > And, what about a serial port CAM, like Poor Man's CAM?
> > >
> > > With Windowz you can use a cheap phoenix interface
> connected to serial
> > > port. The provider card is introduced in the phoenix. You
> can see it at
> > > Joshyfun web site: http://joshyfun.topcities.com/
> > >
> > > Could be possible to develope the same software for Linux?
> >
> >There's a plugin for vdr, called vdr-sc. It's mentioned somewhere on
> >the irdeto 4free board. It's said to decode Irdeto, Via,
> Seca and Nagra
> >Can't tell you more though...
> >
> >   Stefan
> >
> >--
> >The x86 isn't all that complex - it just doesn't make a lot of
> >sense.          -- Mike Johnson, Leader of 80x86 Design at AMD
> >	                          Microprocessor Report (1994)
>
> Im **NOT** talking about sc. What I mean is to develope a
> software for use a
> phoenix as a real (and cheap)CAM.

THAT IS the problem with it (and the sc), it violates the copyright/patents of companys like "Irdeto Access", guess why a Iredeto-CI module costs 160 Euro, its not because of the hardware, you even pay for a "software" product

to emulate a cam you would need to know about the algo witch is protected

only thing you could do is that: if you own a Irdeto-CI and read the ROM into a file you could use that original routines if you jump from your program into this file to "use" the propper algo, that could be possibly leagal
with this you wold avoide the expansive (and buggy?) CI interface of the DVB-s