[vdr] Re: cutting frame accurate in VDR?

> >  > >If you want to connect two clips with reencoded starts/ends you
have
> >  > >problem, because the GOP-sequence is not circular and you get a
> "jitter
> >  > >effect" at the editpoint.
> >  >
> >  > Can't this jitter effect be avoided? Isn't this the goal of the
not
> closed
> >  > GOP-mode (but I think for DVD authoring you need closed GOP).
> >  >
> >  > Wouldn't it be possible to reencode the (B/P) frames in the cut
GOP
> as
> >  > I-Frames to avoid the jitter effect at the editpoint (for
example:
> >  > IBPBBPBBPBBP IBPBBPBBPBBP IIIII IBPBBPBBPBBP IBPBBPBBPBBP).
> >
> >That would have been my first idea, too.
> >However, I haven't yet found any code that converts a GOP into
> >all I-frames. If we were able to perform that conversion, I believe
> >doing the cutting the way you described shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> >Klaus
> >--
>
> Maybe someone knows how to convert a GOP into all I-frames? Then
> maybe frame accurate cutting could be integrated in VDR, that would
> be the nicest solution anyway...

I know, how to convert a GOP into all I-frames: By reencoding the GOPs
where the cuts occur.

Setting only I-frames btw. is a bad solution, as it requires a lot of
unnecessary bandwith. You can simply use a shorter GOP instead as a GOP
does not have to have a fixed size. Example (| marks the cut point):
Before: ...IBPBBPBBPBBP IBPBB|... {commercial break} ...|PBBP
IBPBBPBBPBBP...
After:  ...IBPBBPBBPBBP IBPBP     {no more break :-)}    IBBP
IBPBBPBBPBBP...
where IBPBP and IBBP are reencoded.

But as I mentioned before: How to sync the audio?

With kind regards

Jörg