[vdr] Re: second audio PID on Canal+ broadcasters

Patrick GUENEAU wrote
>I gave up trying to use second audio PID on french Canal+ broadcasts
>using Convergence driver.
>I am using modified driver (www.linuxdvb.tv) to be able to record
>english audio track and (teletext) subtitles (I can't record two audio
>pids at the same time). This is working on my main PC (VDR server in a way)
>
>I have to use another PC (VDR client) using convergence driver to replay
>my recordings using OSD at full size.

WARNING - LINUX & MPEG 2 NEWBIE ALERT - POSSIBLY STUPID QUESTIONS FOLLOW

Would it be possible to use both drivers in the same machine for the same
card (not at the same time, obviously), without too much hassle (using a
script to unload one and load the other one, thus switching between
recording-without-OSD and replaying-with-OSD modes).

Now that there seems to be a working VDR to Video-DVD solution, I think I'm
gonna set up a VDR machine soon, but I guess I'm going to need the OSD to
cut my recordings before using the vdr2dvd tools.

What would be the minimal setup for me (since I don't want to record and
replay simultaneously, but would want to record CanalSatellite France
broadcasters). I was thinking:
- P3@1Ghz
- one full-featured card with CI and AstonCrypt 1.05 CAM (is the hauppauge
card the right choice here?)
- the easiest distro for installing vanilla VDR (ok, no distro war here...
I'm just a newbie who doesn't mind spending a couple of days or weeks
setting up his system, but doesn't want to make his life more complicated
than necessary)
- Pioneer 04 DVD-R burner

How can subtitles be recorded? Is there any way to burn them into the
resulting Video-DVD (possibly using windows)?
How do I check the MPEG2 resolutions at which the Canalsat channels
broadcast, so that I can determine whether they are compatible Video-DVD
resolutions (otherwise, I guess I'll have to transcode)?

Philippe