[vdr] Re: dvb_shutdown_timeout problem (vdr-1.1.16)

"jpulz@frm2.tu-muenchen.de" wrote:

> hi,
>
> sorry for the cross-posting, but i don't know if this is a problem of the
> driver, or a problem of vdr.
> so please forgive me.
>
> yesterday i tried the new driver feature for the shutdown of the
> dvb-frontend.
>
> i insmoded with dvb_shutdown_timeout=5
>
> driver loading, makes no problem, screen stays black, no kdvb-fe process.
>
> i started vdr-1.1.16.
>
> now i have 2 kdvb-fe processes..
> after 5 seconds vdr isn't doing anything, and the 2 kdvb-fe processes are
> marked <defunct>
>
> only way to resume is to 'kill -9' all vdr processes and to reload the
> driver.. but then the same happens again.
>
> if i insmod the driver with timeout=0 everything is working, but then the
> frontend will never be closed again, but it should be when i stop vdr.
>
> for me it looks like vdr isn't holding the frontend open all the time it
> runs, or there is a serious bug in the driver itself.
>
> but i don't know how to get the details to see whats wrong.

I tried this with VDR 1.1.19 and driver 2002-12-08 and everything appears
to work as expected. Maybe something has been fixed in the meantime in the driver,
or the new separate thread for tuning in VDR (which permanently reads events
from the frontend) has fixed it.

Klaus