[vdr] Re: Child protection / access control module

Hello Harald,

First of all, "I" do not have children of my own, so I don't
need "Jugendschutz PIN" etc. HOWEVER, I just flew
across the mails in answer to your question and I must
say the answers you are getting are TOTALLY ridiculous.

If I had children, I, too would be concerned in the same way
you are. So your questions are perfectly "legal" in my opinion.

Children ARE inquisitive and even if you say no, they will
still want to try some things (just because you said no). I
think this perfectly normal behavoir and I seriously doubt
anyone on this list ALWAYS did what their parents told
them (no, I do NOT mean criminal behavoir, but rather the
usual things which are simply "verboten" at certain ages)

There are four possibilities which come to my mind (at the
moment)

- Use two channels.conf (one for your children, one for you)

Problem: "YOU" always have to remember to change (rename)
the channels.conf, when you aren't around.

- Use a login password for linux.

Problem: You need some way of entering the password via
a remote or you need a keyboard (something which doesn't
fit a living room atmosphere ;o))

- Install two sessions of vdr and run a bash script during which
there is a delay in which you can enter a code via remote. If
you enter no code (or a wrong one) it starts the VDR with the
children's version of channels.conf. If you enter the right code
it will start the VDR version with a "full" channels.conf

Problem: You need to program it, because I know of no such
script.

For the last version, you may want to google around on some
linux sites for a program that can intercept ir remote codes,
and depening on what it intercepts, start a certain program.

3rd possibility (of which I do not know if it will work unter
linux): get yourself a (programmable) USB dongle. As long
as the dongle isn't plugged in, linux starts with a "child user"
version of VDR. If you plug it in,  VDR starts with the full
version of VDR.

Problem: I know this can be done under Windows, but USB
support sucks unter linux (at least SuSe), so I don't know if
it is really possible.

Last possibility: Use a keyswitch (not the usual PC type,
as these are easy to hack and anyone with a PC also has
dozens of these keys laying around) to start your VDR box

Problem: Most likely the easiest, but also least desirable
version, because your kids can't watch (DVB) TV at all.

Greetz,
Reinhard

---