[vdr] AW: Linux Distribution

> I am new to VDR and I just start to build my hardware. Linux is not a
> problem for me, because I have years of experiences with Linux,
> but what is
> the best distribution choice for VDR? Red Hat 8.0 or Suse 8.1? What
> distributions are used with VDR?

That is most likely a question of what someone likes. There are thousands of
reasons to choose suse and another thousand to do not. I, personally, don't
like suse anymore, although i started with them, because they do many things
not like others do. I don't like the init process and other things (but if
you once became familiar with that, why not use it). Since i started with
vdr about 8 weeks ago, i tested it with suse to become familiar with vdr and
because many docs around are depending on suse. After testing, i did a
complete new final install and i used gentoo. Reason for that was that i
wanted a real fast vdr with as less overhead as possible. And i think, that
i have met that point. It is a fast, highly optimized distribution with few
overhead. Its rockstable and boots real fast (that was important for me).
For me, gentoo is a good choice for a vdr box. But there is a major
drawback. If you dont have at least a dsl connection, it could be a real
time (and money) consuming process to get it work, because almost everything
you install is loaded from the internet. On the other hand, i like this,
because i never have to went from my working room to the living room to
insert a distro-dvd or something like that, when i want to install
something.
Finally, choose what fits your needs at best. Choose suse, if you want to
setup you vdr step by step with the docs from Hubertus. Choose redhat, if
you already know redhat and choose gentoo or debian, if you want to learn
many things about linux too and choose lfs, if you are a real hardcore or sm
junky...:-)

Gruss

Stephan

btw. Happy Christmas and thanks to all coders! Great work!