[vdr] Re: Using VDR with UK digital terrestrial (problems and observations)

In message <E18f1g1-00080p-00@chambertin.convergence.de>
          Gavin Hamill <gdh@acentral.co.uk> wrote:

> On Saturday 01 February 2003 4:17 pm, you wrote:
>
> > Get a widescreen TV :p
>
> Oh yeh, a great solution when the actual broadcast aspect *IS* 4:3, yet
> it's  being shown as 4:3 inside 16:9 .. nothing more than a software
> glitch. I have  no problem with letterboxing for true 16:9 material.

Actually, the reason you see the '4:3 material inside a 16:9 pillarbox' on
BBC/five, is because they prefer to use Active Frame Descriptors, rather
than the traditional 4:3/16:9 switch (that you see on ITV, for example).

Most set-top boxes can deal with this, but since the DVB software only deals
with transport streams, it doesn't 'see' the AFDs.

Ideally, something like MPlayer should be able to play back a recorded
programme, and understand the AFDs.

--
Richard.

"I'm back in the U.S.S.R. You don't know how lucky you are boy."