[vdr] Re: Multiple disks or EVMS/RAID/etc.

Emil Naepflein <Emil.Naepflein@philosys.de> wrote:

> tobias.meyer-janson@sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de (Tobias Meyer-Janson)
> wrote:

> No, you just have to keep in mind that splitting recordings should be
> avoided.

I often record things which contains several parts I want to divide,
e. g. music videos. So I have to split recordings.

I would have seen the problems I got, before they appeared if I had more
experience in linux. So this was some learning fee.

> > > In your case you have to rename both the primary and the secondary
> > > directories and recreate the symbolic links for the ???.vdr files in the
> > > primary.
> >
> > That's a lot of work for one renaming/moving - and there are several.
>
> Just write a perl script which handles this. I have several scripts for
> my personal setup which handle different tasks.

Now i wrote have a short script, helping me rename a recording on both
disks an relink the files. It is not perfect, not full automatically,
yet, and not as powerfull as yours, I think, but it is a starting point.
I think for the forthcomming recordings I can handle this problem.

> LVM without redundancy is a very bad idea. One broken disk or a glitch
> in the reiserfs and you have lost *all* of your recordings.

From what I read so far RAID5 with several partitions should be the best
and most flexible system for me. It would not solve the difficulties
with spread recordings, but now I think that handling this with a good
script is reachable for me and the more safety would worth the work

thx.

TMJ