[vdr] Re: VDR box based on EPIA-M board and Cubid case

Marcel Pommer wrote:
On Monday 10 February 2003 18:34, Wolfgang Fritz wrote:

I am following the VIA arena Linux forum (www.viaarena.com)  for the
past weeks. The present state is that you can use the binary via video
drivers  with some versions of Redhat and Mandrake kernels and even get
them to load with other kernels with some manual work. But up to know
there is no information how to use the MPEG hardware, so you dont't get
a performance gain by using the via video drivers.

That's a pity. I think an EPIA M6000 board with a budget DVB card would
be a nice platform for multimedia/VDR etc. applications.

Wolfgang

hi,

i'm new to this list, so please forgive me if i'm missing some basics..

imho, getting the mpeg decoder in the cle266 to work should be the primary goal for this project (i'm planning on a m9000 w/dvb for digitv/dvd/divx/mp3 etc playback). afaik via supports this hardware with its linux drivers (there's even an Xv library in the driver package), but no known player can use it. but, modifying a player (xine/mplayer) should be the smallest problem.

As I understand the current discussion in the via forums, there is no information about the programming interface to the via drivers. I dont't know much about X programming, so I can only believe what I read there.

correct me if i'm wrong, but would it not be the best thing to use a cheap dvb card without an mpeg decoder, so the cle266 can do the decoding for both the dvb stream and the dvd? dvd playback would not be a challenge for the processor, just divx could drive the board to its limits, and only if divx becomes more cpu-expensive in the future.

I would really like to use such a configuration. The EPIA M boards basically have all the hardware needed (S-video out with MPEG decoder, 6 channel sound)

what i don't know is: can you take a dvb card with an mpeg decoder, have it decode a stream that comes from a dvd drive and send it to its own svideo-out, so an epia 800 would be sufficient?

mplayer has a driver for DVB boards. During my first tests with my DVB card I installed it on my desktop PC (667 MHz P3) and could watch DVD without problems and with very low CPU usage. I have not tested it with the EPIA board (no DVD drive attached)

Wolfgang

regards,

--
Marcel Pommer