[vdr] Re: about the vdr streaming plugin

On Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2003 12:29 Alexis Guerin wrote:

> > Because I wanted something like that, too, I have started creating a
> > whole new streaming-plugin which uses a Client/Server Protocol similar to
> > the SVDRP and FTP protocols.
> >
> > The client part of the plugin serves as a fully implemented Input-Device
> > serving a TS stream to VDR, and the server part works with receivers.
>
> - Do you mean that the client is a machine running VDR and receiving (via
> the LAN) a TS stream provided by the server machine (with DVB cards and
> eventually DVD drive) which is also running VDR.

Exactly. The only thing you got wrong is that actually a PES-stream is
streamed (because only a few players can handle TS, and I want additional
clients besides the VDR-Client later on), and then remuxed to TS so VDR can
handle it as a device.

> - You are talking about TS stream, but can that be mpeg4 encoded data
> (Divx), like in the first ffmpeg/ffserver plugin.

not sure what you mean. If you mean the possibility of outputting the stream
to ffserver which then recodes it into mpeg4, then sorry, this is not planned
yet. But you could write a small client running on the local machine that
pipes the data from the network into ffserver

> > You could easily implement other clients that are controlled by a simple
> > script and output via mplayer.
> >
> > The plugin is mainly ready and works here, but since I only have one
> > full-featured card for the server and one DXR3-Client, my testing
> > possibilities are limited.
>
> What do you need DXR3 decoder for? Is it because you are running VDR on the
> client side? Would it not be possible to use any kind of computer as a
> client (even without hardware decoder)? Is that what you mean by "simple
> script and output to mplayer)?

The Server part is listening to a simple text-based protocol (like SVDRP) and
can be controlled like that. You could for example ask if a given channel is
available using a command like PRVC ProSieben. You could tell the server to
actually switch and stream that channel using CHAN ProSieben, after telling
the server where to stream it (with a command like PORT from the
FTP-Protocol).

Any client capable of viewing a stream that can be controlled by another
script or program should be capable of receiving this.

> Sorry if I am missing everything about the structure of your plugin...

I hope it's a little clearer now.

> Do you hav any plans to release it soon??

I am planning to test it with some ppl having more than one client or more
than one card in the server first, as I don't want this to be as buggy as the
first streaming-plugin, which works nice with SOME configurations, and
doesn't on some OTHERS ;)).

Greetings,
Sascha Volkenandt