[vdr] Re: Power consumption of Hauppauge cards

Hi Chris,all,

> >> DVB-S  Nova

> >i doubt it's that simple.
> >You most likely will have to pay attention to the card's revision.

> I'd be happy to know the worst case or the values for the latest versions.

And what would *be* the worst case? It's not only that you have to
pay attention to the Rev number of the card, but also what is it
powering? If you directly run a dishmotor from the card (like I
do), the card will need more power (and dissipate more heat)
than if you connect a multiswitch, which supplies the power
to the LNBs. There are endless combos, so you will never
receive a *true* answer. If you get really critical, you'll have
to take PC SMPSU voltage variation into account.

The only way you can find thi out for *your* setup (and no
others) is to buy (or etch ;o) one yourself) a PCI riser / tester
card. These allow you to interrupt the power for every single
power line running to the DVB card. You can insert an
ampmeter into each line and measure the current for *your*
setup. Total watts is the sum of all individual watts. Very
time consuming & very expensive (test riser cards cost $$).
But if you really need this info, the only way to go.

Are you asking, because of what SMPSU to use? Or are you
asking because of heat production (get a Rev 1.6 ;o)) Or are
you asking because of what you can power from the DVB?

Greetz,
Reinhard

---
Mail is certified Virus Free.