[vdr] Re: Power consumption of Hauppauge cards

Hi,

Ondrej wrote;
> It should be possible to measure the overall power consumption
>of the whole VDR
> box with and without the DVB card mounted. The difference
>should be the power that the DVB card needs. Could it be that
> easy ?

Okay, this will give you a general idea on power consumption. You would
still need to make an adapter for the ATX cable. However, you would
need provide similar testing conditions (i.e HDD idle or doing
something, graphics adapter should be in the same "state" i.e. not playing
a mpeg2 video in one case and doing nothing in another, etc) To really
find the need of the complete system, you would need to load all
parts (i.e. HDD, DVD, grahics adapter, DVB, etc, etc) at the same time
and add at least some 20-30% for safe measure

Chris wrote:
>I need an idea of the power consumption to work out what PSU I'll need
> to provide. I don't need to drive a dish motor, just a universal LNB (or a
> UHF antenna in the case of DVB-T ;-)

I would *NOT* go for a minium PSU. This will lead to all sorts of
problems (which you may not even find right away), as it is not acertained
that you will have enough power in all cases (HDD , DVD spinup, doing
single / multiple recordings, etc). What are you going to do with your PSU,
if you later add a 2nd, 3rd or 4th DVB? DONT skimp on power!

I realize there are *minimalistic* users out there running boxes
with 80W PSUs. I wouldn't chance that. For a single DVB a 80W
may work, but "I" would go for at least 135-150W PSU. Better yet
200W. That will be power to spare and will also keep you under power
if you add additional hardware. You should also realize that a 200W
PSU running at 50% will work  a lot cooler than running a 80W PSU
at +20% of the specs.

Greetz,
Reinhard

---