[vdr] AW: Re: AW: EPG scan cause high load and AC3 drop outs

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org [mailto:vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org]Im Auftrag
von Dr. Werner Fink
Gesendet: Freitag, 21. Marz 2003 23:10
> > If you've applied the audio patch of the bitstreamout plugin you
> > may replay with the --audio option.  Nevertheless, the question
> > is: what's the reason of the IRQ flood.
>
> Hmmm ... thinking about.  Let's see, one AC3 frame from Pro7 takes
> 32 ms and has, toghether with the PES header within the MPEG2 stream, 1806
Bytes.
> For one second we have there for 1806 Bytes * (1000ms / 32ms) ...
> now the transport stream (TS) for the PES over DVB is splited into
> 184 Bytes payload + 4 Bytes for control.
>
> 1806 Bytes * (1000ms / 32ms) / 184 Bytes leads to 306 per second TS frames
> and maybe every of those frames requires on IRQ for getting such frame
> from the DVB card into the memory of the PC.
>
> The bitstreamout plugin uses the VDR interface for getting the TS
> of the AC3 stream from the DVB card.   Together with the data streams
> for EPG this may sum up.

Hmm, yesterday I've made some experiments with vdr 1.0.4 & AIO patch,
old driver and I get similar high IRQ rates:

~20 normal live mode
400-600 replay mode
800-1000 LiveAC3 Mode

In both cases I use AC3 out over Soundcard. So I don't think the
IRQ flood is the case for my crashes, because vdr 1.0.4 ran stable
for a long time at my machine.
(I'm quite not 100% sure if the driver/VDR or bitstreamout-plugin
crashed my machine but this was the only thin I changed in the last days)
I updated the driver to the newest CVS version and till now I got no
crash anymore.

Roland

p.s. At the first try vdr with bitstreamout plugin quit with "illegal
instruction" because I've an AMD-K6 and you use in the Makefile
"-march=i686" Maybe a hint in the README file to check this woudn't be
bad.