[vdr] Re: Ird-Beta.KID

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 14:55, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> > >Wrong. The command deletes absolutly NOTHING. (The jumping ".")
> >
> > Then try that on your machine, Matthias. ;-)
>
> I'm not quite sure if "rm" doesn't have the cascading problem
> anymore. (".." is included in ".*")

I just verified this to be sure (not with /etc, doh!)
It seems rm is way more cautious than most of us (including myself) would
assume, cause this is what happens:

linux:/tmp/meuk # rm -rf .*
rm: cannot remove `.' or `..'
rm: cannot remove `.' or `..'
quasar:/tmp/meuk # rm -rf .
rm: cannot remove `.' or `..'
quasar:/tmp/meuk #

So, contrary to what you'd believe (the wildcard .* matching . or ..) rm
does not allow you to do this. It amazes me, but it is good for security.
:-)

This happens on SuSE 8.0 and 7.2. by the way.  But maybe other
distributions show different behaviour. Do not try this at home.  All
disclaimers apply.  ;-)

> MAYBE the rm is even equivalent to "rm -rf /*" and kills your whole
> machine.

Yeah yeah.  But I suppose that if wildcards really worked like that
someone would have changed that real long ago. Cause if your suggestion
that ".*" would fit ".."  , ".*" would then also fit on anything, like
../../../usr/local/../src/linux/.config . And that is just too weird to
consider, isn't it ?   ;-)

Maarten

--
This statement is either false or a paradox.